Saturday 3 December 2011

Rooftop Research

I have spent some time sifting through 3rd person shooter/adventure games to prepare for the rooftop project. I figured that before I design a level for this type of game I should learn exactly what defines it and decide what aspects of a each TPS I personally found to be an advantage or disadvantage during game play, all in an attempt to better understand the appropriate level design techniques.
Before considerable amounts of research, I could only think of 3 main stances that the protagonist would perform, standing, crouching and crawling, but after a look at the masters of 3rd person Shmups, I discovered a library of actions, that when considered, evolved the environment into a more interesting and appropriate level with additions like hidey holes in the form of boxes and oil drums and endless types of cover. 

In the old days (lol) I could clearly see how TPS views were not just more cinematic, but totally necessary. In Tomb Raider, it was essential that the player could see exactly where in the map Croft was standing in order to make those life threatening decisions to make the series of jumps she needed to get to the next frustratingly vague and overly tiled textured room. In a different way, GTA totally relied on its cam viewpoints. I don’t think that punching an old lady to death and stealing her money to pay a hooker would have been half as funny if I couldn’t see the ridiculous character carry out this completely irrational behaviour. The ability to see the inevitable car chases, crashes and explosions in full cinematic view, was so shockingly fun, that every single person I have watched playing it, has become totally distracted from the games missions and spent most of their time just killing and crashing.
In addition to being a 3rd person shmup, I will be adding stealth to my gaming style.
Metal Gear Solid and the Splinter cell series are a perfect example of how game play can benefit from having a generous and more detailed view of not just the map but the situation they are in.
These stealth games wouldn’t be possible without this view, it is essential for the player to be able to see exactly where the protagonist, the enemy and the cover is, to be able to make the next decision, and stay hidden.

Successful FPS “Shoot em up” games:- 

 
































So just to be clear, that's Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, Uncharted, Tomb Raider and Batman.
Granted some the these games are less respectable then others among the serious gaming audience. For example Hideo Kogima the creator of the Metal Gear Solid series is one of the most respected men in the gaming industry, so I will direct most of my attention to his work, but I can of course still research, learn and steal ideas and techniques from all of the above.

So I have been noting ideas that can be used for the rooftop and just throwing together some plans and moodboards.



























































I thought the composition would also become more appropriate if I were to consider enemies.


































Just a blog to let you know what I've been researching. Didn't want to make the design document to long but will of course include all of my development in it.



No comments:

Post a Comment