Friday 23 December 2011

Vehicle Progression_1


Finding the vehicle
My first step was to find at least one of the vehicles from the brief nearby. I practised plane modelling last summer so I knew I would enjoy modelling the WW1 Bristol fighter. I searched the internet for war museums and aero parks until I found the fighter at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford. I called them to ensure it was in an appropriate position for photographing (not suspended from beams like some), and that it could get reference from all angles.
I want to keep this option as a backup as choosing the fighter would mean travelling, paying and only having one main opportunity to get all of the reference I need. I want to know that the vehicle I choose will be close enough for me to visit whenever I need to.

Meanwhile I was asking around and emailing people about a 3 wheeler Piaggio I had seen around the village. After a few days I had an owners address. Unfortunately the car was in a garage and wasn’t available for another 4 days so I downloaded blueprints and started modelling.














Research and Preparation
I also used the time to do some research which included other vehicles modelled with the same budgets, all the 3D Piaggios I could find and just some inspirational 3D cars with realistic materials and good flow lines to refer to.







Reference Photos






















Unfortunately it turns out the blueprints I have been using are quite different to the vehicle so I have to change it. Bit of time lost.

Problems
My first major problem occurred when I was trying to select the different ID materials separately. I couldn’t figure it out and was sure there would be an easy way. But I couldn’t find it so I resorted to detaching half of the vehicle and having it as a separate object so I could open the map in the material editor without seeing both maps.




For a while I thought this was working until I applies the STL check modifier. Shock horror! Every seem I had detached was, well...detached and I had ton weld them all together.







And then I found these. -_-





I have been determined to master the Ambient Occlusion since the trash project. I realise the simple set of instruction in the tutorial shouldn’t be difficult to follow, but for some reason it just never worked. However, as soon as i was happy with the vehicle mesh, I wanted some nice renders to show for it...Behold. 
 


And then came the texturing problems. 

 
I really wanted to master texturing with this project. I didn’t want to just use a specular map to create the cars paint so I started finding tutorials on material properties and creating a light studio designed to compliment vehicle textures.

 



The dull ammature texturing I need to avoid. 










                                                                         







 






































This is my studio. My lights and reflective surfaces are set up and I import it into the scene with my vehicle to test the rendering.
I















The car material has been my ongoing problem through out this project. I am still tweaking it every time I work on the vehicle.
My less than efficient unwrapping of the model has also become a problem. I have unwrapped it again to see if texturing will then become easier and more effective.











































No comments:

Post a Comment